Summer vacation… Lazy days at the beach. Weekends at an Airbnb house. Or maybe even a trip abroad. Yes, it’s almost time to celebrate the summer with some time off and a trip to our favorite warm-weather getaway. But before packing our bags and heading off for that long awaited trip, there are always a few things to keep in mind.
You know… The mail needs to be held at the post office, the grass needs to be cut, the lights should be scheduled so it looks like there’s someone home — and the plants have to be watered.
For many of us, the solution to that last problem is to ask a friend or neighbor. But the fact is, you don’t even need to do that. There’s a simple trick that lets your potted plants water themselves.
You read that right. With this clever method, your plants get exactly the amount of water they need while you’re away from home. And you don’t need to even lift a finger.
Scroll down to see how quick and easy it is make homemade irrigation systems with a little help from some wine bottles.
1. Put some wine bottles in the sink and soak them in water overnight.
2. In the morning, you’ll be able to easily remove the labels.
3. Fill the wine bottles with water.
4. Put the corks back in.
5. Make a small hole in the center of each cork. Make sure water can slowly flow through. If there’s too much water, you can put a small piece of cloth over the cork to slow it down.
6. Put a wine bottle upside down in each of your pots…
7. … and your plants will have their own irrigation system while you’re gone. How smart is that?
Watch this video to see how this clever trick works:
I’m definitely trying this this summer, and I’m sure many other people will do the same!
Please share this smart trick with your friends on Facebook so they can also learn how to have their plants water themselves this summer. They’ll thank you later!