4-year-old calls 911 and saves the lives of 6 children after being left in hot car

With summer just around the corner, we turn our eyes to the sky in anticipation of finally getting enough sun to be able to ditch the jackets and coats.

Of course, while the sun is a source of great enjoyment for many – and for good reason – it also presents a danger that far too many people forget about on a yearly basis.

By now, we’ve all seen and heard the warnings that foretell the dangers of leaving animals in hot cars, but there are still those people who think it’s OK to do so. Worse, there are those who fail to see the life-threatening risk of doing the same with small children.

On Friday, May 10, the Charles County Sheriff’s Office in Maryland was forced to respond to a call that any parent will find frightening …

It transpired that seven young children – aged 2 to 4 – had been left in a car with the windows rolled up and the engine off. The temperature outside was around 80 degrees.

According to reports, fortunately the oldest of the children managed to call 911. He told police the children were hot, and didn’t know where they were.

The 37-year-old mother of two of the kids had left them inside the vehicle to go into a shop. She had given them instructions “not to leave the vehicle”, but obviously hadn’t considered the idea that the main threat was inside.

Thankfully, after receiving the call from the 4-year-old, authorities were able to locate the children through the GPS on their phone. Deputies arrived to find a black 2-door Monte Carlo sitting inside the parking lot of a mall. Only one of the children had a car seat, despite the fact Maryland law states all children under age eight should have an adequate restraint or booster seat.

Officers speaking to WJLA said the kids were “scared” and “sweaty”, though none of them required medical attention.

It’s believed the mother in question was gone from the car for at least 20 minutes, and the Sheriff’s office have confirmed that she is being charged with “confinement of children inside a motor vehicle.”

We can only hope that this story will serve as a reminder for those that need it as to the dangers of overheating inside a car.

Children and animals should never be made to sit inside a car as it heats up. Share this article to remind people!