Mother warns parents of hidden backyard danger

What child doesn’t love the summer, with all its possibilities for playing outside and making mischief?

But as a parent, it’s important to pay attention to the high summer temperatures.

Even something as innocent as splashing around in a kiddie pool can have nasty consequences, as Dominique Woodger found out when she inadvertently put her son in harm’s way.

Now, the horrified mother is warning other parents.

It was a scorching hot day in San Tan Valley in Arizona. The temperature soared over 40°C (110°F) and Dominique Woodger decided to cool her 9-month-old son in a backyard kiddie pool.

Dominique put her son in the pool and started filling it up with a garden hose.

trädgårdsslang, vatten
Image Source: YouTube

As soon as the boy was hit by the jet of water, he started screaming.

“I thought he was crying because he’s mad… he hates when he gets sprayed in the face,” Dominique tells TV station KNXV.

But she quickly realized that the situation was much more serious. Her son’s skin was bright red and blisters covered the side of his body where the water had hit him.

It turned out that the water in the hose had been heated by the sun — and was around 65°C (150°F) when it hit Dominique’s baby.

Dominique rushed her son to the hospital and upon examination, doctors told her that he had second-degree burns over 30 percent of his body.

Children have more sensitive skin than adults, so the toddlers quick 10–20 second exposure was enough to burn his delicate body.

Image Source: YouTube

Luckily, the doctors said he will recover from the injury without any permanent damage.

Now, Dominique wants to warn other parents about the danger of garden hoses, so that other children don’t experience the same terrible fate, or worse, that her son did.

“Just be careful. Touch the water before you let your kids near it,” she tells KNXV.

Image Source: YouTube

For more on this story, watch this local news report:

Frightening! No child should be burned by scalding water from a garden hose. Share this mother’s warning to raise awareness about this backyard danger!