The world watches on in horror as California yet again battles wildfires intent on ravaging the state.
In the past week over 40 people have lost their lives to the fires engulfing large parts of Northern California, with the shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks claiming another 12.
Put plainly, the people of the Golden State could do with a break from tragedy, and that’s exactly what one restaurant is trying to provide in it’s own small way …
At 6 a.m. on Monday morning, CiCi’s restaurant in Westlake Village, California, opened its doors and offered firefighters and first responders a complimentary breakfast in a bid to thank them for all they’ve done.
A reporter from KTLA on scene at the restaurant said: “I have to tell you, it’s so heartwarming. We’re seeing firefighters, sheriff’s deputies coming in right now, and people start clapping and cheering for them, and CiCi’s is giving them free meals — hot meals — after all of their hard work today.”
Once again the fire raze California. I want to send encourage to all the families of the people deceased and affected and also all the strength to the fire-fighting team
— Antonio Banderas (@antoniobanderas) November 10, 2018
And hard work it has most definitely been. According to reports, 30% of the fire in the north – which is enough to cover 125,000 acres – has been contained, though the remaining 70% still poses a considerable threat to the homes and livelihoods of millions.
Whilst Southern California might not be suffering to such a great extent, the Woolsey Fire has killed at least two people and damaged a number of beach resorts including Malibu.
CiCi, the owner of the restaurant, told reporters: “It is very important, because, you know, they make us safe. They take care of the property. They save people’s life days and nights… I want to be part of it, I want to say thank you, and I want to support them because they are so good to us.”
We hope and pray that a strong foothold can be won against these fires, and that no more people lose their lives.
Share this story to show your support for the service men and women tackling the California blazes.