Teen left fighting for his life after his lungs failed – doctors believe vaping is to blame

E-cigarettes have been around since 2003 and many smokers switched to them because it was thought to be a better alternative to smoking regular cigarettes.

These electronic alternatives don’t contain tar like cigarettes do and companies claim they are safe but there is still no proof of this.

The increasing number of children using e-cigarettes has become a public health concern.

Now a 17-year-old, who has been vaping since 8th grade, was left fighting for his life after his lungs became completely blocked.


Doctors believe Tryston Zohfeld’s lungs had failed due to the chemicals he was inhaling from the vape pen.

GoFundMe Page

The Texas teen was admitted to hospital at the end of July after his lungs suddenly failed.

“I woke up just throwing up everywhere, and my heart was beating out of my chest going 100 miles an hour,” Tryston told ABC affiliate WFAA.

‘Worst day of my life’

His family rushed him hospital where he was put in a medically induced coma, according to People.

“The day they intubated him was the worst day of my life,” Tryston’s dad Matt Zohfeld told WFAA. “We walked into this hospital very naive about what we were dealing with.

“We had no idea if he was going to make it through or not,” his dad added. “That was very difficult to come to terms with.”

GoFundMe Page

Doctors ran tests on Tryston but nothing was coming up to show why his lungs were completely blocked.

It wasn’t until his parents discovered their son had been vaping since he was 13 years old  that it all started to make sense.

A GoFundMe page set up by the family to raise funds for his medical costs said Tryston was diagnosed with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

Cause scarring on the lungs

“Several things can cause this, and the doctors feel that Tryston’s recent history of vaping was most likely the cause,” the page stated.

Dr. Karen Schultz, a specialist in pediatrics and pulmonology, said she believes the chemicals Tryston was inhaling from the vape pen caused the blockage in his lungs and his habit was enough to cause scarring, according to CBS.

After 18 days Tryston was released from hospital and told local media that he and his friends have thrown out their e-cigarettes.

GoFundMe Page

“I was definitely given a second chance, and as soon as I woke up from that coma, I knew what I wanted to do,” he said. “This is really what could happen and it’s not something to look over. They’re not as safe as you think.”

Very high levels of addiction

University of Alabama pediatrician Dr. Susan Walley said there had been an “astronomical increase of teens and young adults who are using e-cigarettes.

“We’re also seeing a lot more teens with use that implies they have very high levels of addiction,” she added, as reported by CBS.

“The major point that I would like to get across to parents is that e-cigarettes are not safe,” Dr Walley said.

GoFundMe Page

Please help share Tryston’s warning by clicking on the share button below so that everyone can be aware of this risk associated with e-cigarettes!