Warning over eating undercooked meat after 18-year-old dies from tapeworms

Every measure is put in place to ensure our food is safe to consume, it’s rare that a certain food becomes unsafe to eat.

When it does the situation is usually rectified quickly so the public’s mind can be put at rest.

But now medical professionals are warning of the dangers of eating undercooked meat after an 18-year-old died two weeks after eating pork.

The 18-year-old from India was rushed to hospital suffering seizures and a sharp pain in his groin, which he’d had for a week.

According to a study in the New England Journal of Medicine the teen was also confused and had swelling over his right eye.

A body scan showed lesions in his brain and cysts in his right eye and groin.

According to Inside Edition doctors determined he had a condition called neurocysticerosis, the result of someone eating a tapeworm from pork.

The unnamed teen died from his illness two weeks later.

Now medical professionals are warning people not to eat undercooked meat.

Pediatric gastroenterologist Dr. Bridget Dowd said this was rare in the U.S. but just to be safe always cook beef or pork to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, or at least medium rare.

Wild game and ground beef should be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

Find out more about this story and how to cook your food safely in the clip below.

Please share this important food safety message with your friends and family.