Italian opera singer Andrea Bocelli has revealed he was diagnosed with COVID-19 in March.
The legendary singer told his fans that following his diagnosis he made a “swift and full recovery” in time to perform in his Easter Sunday webcast, which his fans were able to live-stream for free.
Bocelli said he didn’t want to reveal his diagnosis at the time because he wanted to protect his family’s privacy and did not want to “unnecessarily alarm” his fans.
“Out of respect for those for whom contracting the virus has had more serious consequences, I decided it would be best not to share the news,” he added in his Facebook post.
The 61-year-old said he had also donated blood to help researchers find a cure for coronavirus.
“Given the chance to donate blood to help find a cure for Covid, my response was an immediate ‘yes.’ A modest — but fundamental — gesture, through which I am playing my small part,” he added.
Broke YouTube records
Bocelli, who has been blind since the age of 12, broke YouTube records for his “Music for Hope” concert in an empty cathedral on Easter Sunday.
His performance at Milan’s famed Duomo cathedral was viewed by more than 28 million people worldwide in its first 24 hours and has currently been viewed more than 40 million times.
Thank goodness he and his family recovered and despite what he had been through he still went on to perform his historic show. Such a remarkable man.
Please share with all the Andrea Bocelli fans you know.