Baby boy freezes to death after mom leaves him outside for five hours

Throughout the summer we heard too many heartbreaking stories of children who had died after being left in hot cars.

Now news of an incident where a mother left her child outside in the cold and forgot about him has emerged.

According to local media a 7-month-old baby boy froze to death after being put on the balcony of an apartment in the Khabarovsk region of Russia.

An investigation has been launched.

In the Khabarovsk Territory, a mother forgot her own child on a cold balcony
Photo: Vasily Zadunaev

The mom had put her baby boy outside on the balcony of an apartment in the town of Nikolaevsk-on-Amur so he could sleep in the fresh air but forgot about him.

According to Russian media the boy was outside in his stroller in temperatures of -4 degrees Fahrenheit for five hours.

The boy died of hypothermia, according to the article, which occurs when the body’s core temperature drops after being exposed to the cold.

‘Victim of low temperatures’

Russian health authorities issued a warning about leaving children outside unattended after the tragic incident, as reported by Fox News.

“Always know where and with whom [your child] is,” the ministry said in an Instagram post, adding, “Do not pass by if another child is in danger  — in winter a child who is lost or injured on the street can very quickly become a victim of low temperatures.”

The idea behind putting children outside to take a nap is that exposing children to fresh air can help avoid coughs and colds, according to the BBC.

Shutterstock / Generic image

Such a tragic case. Please share to warn others of the dangers of leaving children outside unattended in cold temperatures.