Joy all around as the 12 rescued Thai boys and their coach are discharged from hospital

The Thai boys and their coach at the center of a dramatic and lengthy cave rescue have been discharged from hospital.

The young group were judged to be ready both physically and mentally to return to normal life, according to doctors, who have been treating them at a nearby hospital.

A press conference was held where the world’s media was able to ask the boys about their ordeal in person. The boys were told about the “miracle” rescue and recounted the moment when cave divers first reached them. One said they were so shocked all they could say was “Hello,” according to The Guardian newspaper.

The boys were trapped for more than two weeks in the cave. Rescuers raced against the clock as heavy rain threatened to increase water levels and cut off the rescue route even more.

The whole world held its breath for two weeks while an intensive rescue effort took place. Then we all rejoiced when the boys were rescued one by one and finally their coach; all safe and well.

Photo: AP/TT/Facebook.

Isolated after cave drama

After their rescue, the 12 boys and their football coach were taken to a nearby hospital and kept in isolation while a number of physical and psychological tests were carried out. They also received antibiotics and rabies vaccines.

“The reason they’re in isolation is, when your body is without natural light for that long — since you’re literally living in a cave — your body starts to change. Certain things get ramped up. Certain things get ramped down. One thing that often gets ramped down is the immune system,” said CNN’s Sanjay Gupta.

Posted by กองทัพเรือ Royal Thai Navy on Saturday, 7 July 2018

In good health

Then on Wednesday the boys and their coach were finally released from hospital. They are considered to be in good health and there is no reason why they cannot return to normal life.

According to USA Today, Public Health Minister Dr. Piyasakol Sakolsattayatorn told reporters that: “All of the 13 people, their physical bodies are strong and fit. Regarding infections, through the medical evaluations in the first days there may be some of them that had minor pneumonia, but now all is cleared, no fever.”

Photo: AP Photo/TT

“It was a miracle”

At the press conference, the boys were told of the rescue operation and asked how they felt when divers finally reached them. 

“It was a miracle, I was shocked,” one of the boys said.

Thailand, grottdramat.
Photo: Lillian Suwanrumpha/APF/TT

The world watched and waited and now we’re all relieved to see everything went well for the boys and their coach. Now, they can finally return to normal life.

Share to pay tribute to the great effort of the rescue workers that made this miracle possible!