Tasting food from other cultures is always exciting, and I have always been interested in Japanese cuisine.
When I discovered this recipe and saw the end result, I had to try it out. They are so fluffy and they taste out of this world.
One tip I should share is to make double the amount, it’s something I wished I had done as soon as I tasted my first bite. Scroll down for the recipe and method to making these heavenly Japanese milk buns.
You will need:
350 grams or 2 2/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
3 tbsp Sugar
7 grams or 1 packet of Dry Yeast
2/3 tsp Salt
3/4 cup + 1 tsp Warm Milk
30 grams or 1/4 stick of Butter
1. Mix together the milk and dry yeast.
2. Then in a separate bowl add the flour and sugar, followed by the milk and dry yeast mixture. When the dough begins to solidify, add the salt.
3. Knead the dough. If it is difficult to work with, you can cover it with plastic wrap and wait about 20 minutes, then it should be easier to work.
4. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Then flatten it and spread the butter on top – but keep in mind that the butter should be soft.
5. Fold the dough around the butter. Work the dough to make sure the butter gets mixed into it.
6. Put the dough into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours.
7. Then put the dough onto a lightly floured board and divide it into 12 balls.
8. Put the balls onto a a baking sheet lined with baking paper – remember to leave some space between them. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for another 30 minutes.
9. Sprinkle some corn starch on top of the balls then put them in a pre-heated oven at 350 °F for 18-20 minutes.
10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes – then dig in and enjoy!
Watch the step by step instructions in the video below:
These look and taste so amazing.
Feel free to share with someone you think would appreciate this delicious bread – they will definitely thank you afterwards!